Monday, July 9, 2012

Practice Results

A decent practice for Zio yesterday.  We set up early and did an extra session on the box with just the gutter.  He was turning VERY wide, so I had to add more "junk" to get him to turn tight again.  His last turn was perfect.

During his regular sessions, he ran twice with the Speeding Sheepdogs (Zio, Maverick, Lucy, and Wisp).  The first time, we tried to have Katie racing Luna in the other lane while I ran Zio, but Luna isn't ready for someone else to run her.  The thought here is that if Lucy comes into heat at the wrong time, Zio and Luna may need to be on the same team.  Katie and I switched up so that I could run Luna, while she ran Zio.  He did okay for Katie, but the props kept changing at the box and he had gone back to doing wide turns.  He was also mouthing the ball on the wall back instead of running hard to catch me. In hindsight, I should have explained what props should be there and let her verify before each run.

The other racing session was with Speeding Sheepdogs again (wish we had Jean-Luc to practice with too).  I ran Zio this time, since we raced against Cruise Control.  Zio did pretty good.  Although he was tending to straddle the gutter going to the box, he made nice, tight turns.

His box work was more of the grab the tug as soon as you turn off the box exercise.  He seems to like this work and I think it helps him be tight off the turn.


No comments:

Post a Comment