Monday, February 14, 2011

Let the 2011 Flyball Season Begin!

Yesterday was our last practice before the first tournament this coming weekend. We started a little early to make sure we had time to get some practice in with the Dogs Gone Wild team from Tulsa. The off season went by pretty fast! A year ago, Zio and I were craming little training sessions in every chance we could so that he could race singles in his debut tournament. Little did I know that he would actually get his first taste of team racing on Sunday afternoon. I've been trying to correct his turn ever since, but I think it will always be a constant training issue.

We picked up a nice passing drill from DGW that should help us desensitize some of the dogs to the dogs coming at them. We worked with one of their dogs that liked to chase and made some good progress with him. Zio (aka Tank) almost had a scarey moment with Cody on a pass that was too close. They bumped into each other, but it must have been a glancing blow, since they both continued with no harm done. I really need to not worry about simulating real passing with such a short runback area. I little slip could cause an injury.

We're holding a little team contest to try and predict the fastest time for the Speeding Sheepdogs team. I haven't revealed my guess yet, but I think we have the potential to race under 18 seconds. Below is our new team logo.

2 comments:

  1. Wooo hooo! Blogging for over a year and I got my first comment! :)


    The prize for being first will be in the mail soon!

    ReplyDelete